Wellington indian woman dating alexa dating sites
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. There were also three detached areas, one adjoining the Poolend area of Leekfrith, another on the east side of the Buxton road at Blackshaw Moor, and a small area on the south bank of the river Churnet north of the town. 1) A market centre by the 13th century and a centre of the silk industry from the 18th century, the town was described in 1793 as the capital of the Moorlands and in the later 19th century as both the metropolis and the queen of the Moorlands. 2) The style Queen of the Moorlands was used on the signs erected in 1992 on five roads entering the town. 3) In 1894 the built-up area was taken into the new Leek urban district and civil parish, and the area to the south became the civil parish of Leek and Lowe, renamed Lowe in 1895.
The detached portions at Poolend and Blackshaw Moor were added to the civil parishes of Leekfrith and Tittesworth respectively, and the detached portion by the Churnet became part of the urban district.
In the eastern part the rock is sandstone of the Millstone Grit series. 11) In 1327 eight people were assessed for tax in Leek 'cum membris' and 14 in Lowe, while in 1333 there were 33 in both combined. 12) In 1666 the number assessed for hearth tax was 76 in Leek and 17 in Lowe hamlet. 13) The population of Leek and Lowe township was 3,489 in 1801 and 3,703 in 1811.
There is Boulder Clay over the rock in the Ball Haye Green area and alluvium along the Churnet. It rose to 4,855 in 1821 and 6,374 in 1831 and then grew steadily to reach 12,760 in 1891. 14) The population of the urban district in 1901 was 15,484 and of the civil parish of Lowe 176.
Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1996. (1,105 ha.) in area, included the town of Leek and a rural area to the east, south, and west.The soil is mostly loam, with sandy soil south of the town. 9) In 1086 Leek had a recorded population of 28; in addition there is likely to have been at least one priest. The figures were 16,663 and 192 in 1911, 17,214 and 255 in 1921, and 18,567 and 299 in 1931.The enlarged urban district had a population of 19,356 in 1951, 19,182 in 1961, and 19,452 in 1971.Cock Low, recorded as 'Catteslowe' in the later 16th century and as Cock Lowe or Great Lowe in 1723, (fn. high, an excavation uncovered a flint implement and fragments of an urn and of human bone. Standing at the junction of several roads, the town was a commercial centre by the 13th century.16) stood south- west of the town between Waterloo Road and Spring Gardens. The mound was destroyed in 1907 in the course of the development of the area, but an urn containing a cremation burial of the early or middle Bronze Age was discovered and also a heart-shaped carved stone. 17) In 1859 workmen digging in Birchall meadows west of the Cheddleton road broke into a mound where a cinerary urn was discovered. 18) A Roman road ran through the Leek area, and coins forming part of a hoard found 2 miles south of the town in the earlier 1770s were said to bear the inscription of the Gallic emperor Victorinus (269–71). In 1207 the king confirmed to Earl Ranulph a weekly market and an annual seven-day fair, and the earl established a borough probably about the same time.